Home » Our Schools » Monroe Middle School

Monroe Middle School

2800 Bailey Lane, Eugene, OR 97401
(541) 790-6300 Fax: (541) 790-6305

School website

Grades: 6–8
Enrollment: 579
Principal: Sun Saeteurn <saeteurn_s@4j.lane.edu>
Secretary: Chanel Green <green_c@4j.lane.edu>

School Hours:
M–Th: 9:00–3:35
Friday: 9:00–2:35
Breakfast and Lunch Menu

Feeder Elementary Schools: Buena Vista, Holt, Willagillespie
High School Region: Sheldon

Mission Statement:
Together, we will: Prepare students for high school, college and career readiness by providing each student with a high-quality educational experience; develop compassionate and courageous learners who honor diversity and will contribute to our changing world; be a creative and cohesive learning community that empowers students to pursue their dreams and fulfill their highest potential.

Program Description:
Monroe Middle School is a professional learning community where academic achievement and success is valued by staff, students and parents. Monroe has a strong parent network that supports instruction and promotes a positive school climate. Monroe staff recognizes the unique needs of early adolescent students, and design developmentally appropriate education aligned to the state standards and articulated to high school, college and career readiness.

School Highlights:

  • Schoolwide focus on literacy instruction is the cornerstone of the Monroe program to prepare students for high school, college and career readiness
  • AVID schoolwide instructional strategies to develop college readiness skills in literacy, organization, collaboration, inquiry and the habits of mind
  • Read Right, a reading intervention program
  • A professional learning community with subject-specific and grade-specific teacher learning community teams, plus an equity and school climate team
  • An active Site Council to oversee the MMS School Improvement Plan, staff professional development and training activities, and the schoolwide decision making grid
  • Spanish immersion program in grades 6, 7 and 8
  • Schoolwide advisory program focus on student’s social emotional growth and development incorporating the Second Steps program.
  • PBIS, a schoolwide positive behavior support program
  • Resource time for personalized instruction and extra support for students before school
  • Schoolwide emphasis on student organization skills, WEB (Where Everyone Belongs mentorship program), Student Council Leadership and lunchtime mentorship program
  • A well-rounded elective program offering Spanish and French, performing arts (band, choir, orchestra, drama/talent exhibitions), PE, technology and art. Monroe has full-time specialists for PE, art and music

School Improvement Goals:

  • Student achievement: A commitment to high academic standards; meet the needs of all students and close the achievement gap; reinforce reading, writing, math and study skills for high school readiness and beyond
  • School Climate: Provide consistent schoolwide policies and procedures that teach and promote safe, respectful and responsible behavior; provide guidance activities to enhance growth and development
  • School Equity: Provide social and physical activities within classrooms that are appropriate for the needs of middle school students, and teach about cooperation, participation and respect for individual differences

Spanish Immersion Program Description:
The Spanish immersion program at Monroe Middle School is designed as a “program within a school.” Nearly all students in the program attended Buena Vista Spanish Immersion Elementary School. Students entering the middle school program who did not attend Buena Vista must demonstrate an appropriate command of the language.

Immersion students receive approximately 45% of their lessons in Spanish, with the remaining 55% integrated with non-immersion Monroe Middle School students. Monroe’s rigorous Spanish immersion program prepares students for further language study in the immersion format at Sheldon’s International High School program, with the aim of achieving the International Baccalaureate and/or reaching levels of Spanish advanced enough to earn college credit.

At the middle school level, alternative school students take courses with the at-large population of the host middle school along with classes in their specialized alternative program. Thus enrollment and state test results are counted with those of the host middle school. For more information, contact the school office.

ODE school report cards and AYP reports