All students who ride the school bus receive training on how to behave in the bus, how to cross the road when a bus has its safety lights on, where to find emergency equipment, and how to evacuate a bus in an emergency. Schools also train other students on basic school bus safety when they ride the school bus on field trips or other activities. A copy of the safety rules will be included in school newsletters in the early fall.
For more information on bus safety, or for a copy of bus safety rules and evacuation procedures, call the 4J Transportation Department at 541-790-7474.
PARENTS: PLEASE READ AND DISCUSS THE FOLLOWING RULES WITH YOUR STUDENT:
The following are rules and regulations established by the State of Oregon and School District 4J for students riding school buses. To be eligible to ride a bus, an elementary student MUST reside one mile or more from school and secondary students MUST reside one and one-half miles or more from school. All students should arrive at the bus stop 5 minutes before the scheduled load time. The rules, listed below, also apply to student conduct at all bus stops.
- Pupils being transported are under the authority of the bus driver.
- Fighting, wrestling, or boisterous activity is prohibited on the bus.
- Pupils shall use the emergency door only in case of emergency.
- Pupils shall be on time for the bus both morning and afternoon.
- Pupils shall not bring animals, firearms, weapons, or other potentially dangerous/hazardous material on the bus.
- Pupils shall remain seated while the bus is in motion.
- Pupils may be assigned seats by the bus driver.
- When necessary to cross the road, pupils shall cross in front of the bus or as instructed by the bus driver.
- Pupils shall not extend their hands, arms, or heads out the bus windows.
- Pupils shall have written permission to leave the bus other than at home or at school.
- Pupils shall converse in normal tones; loud or vulgar language is prohibited.
- Pupils shall not open or close windows without permission of the driver.
- Pupils shall keep the bus clean and must refrain from damaging it.
- Pupils shall be courteous to the driver, to fellow pupils and passersby.
- Pupils who refuse to obey promptly the directions of the driver or refuse to obey regulations, may forfeit their privilege to ride on buses.
- Rules governing pupils riding school buses must be kept in a conspicuous place in all buses.
- About 4J
- School Board
- For Staff...