Volunteers make the impossible possible.
In today’s schools, there are simply far more jobs and responsibilities than there are people to do them. By helping with special events and routine tasks, volunteers allow teachers and staff to focus more on helping children learn and grow. The school can accomplish more, and offer children and families more services, with the help of volunteers.
Every 4J school welcomes and appreciates volunteers. Many volunteers work 1–3 hours per week; others help intermittently.
Volunteer Opportunities in Schools
Every 4J school has many opportunities for volunteers to make a difference for kids! Possibilities include:
- Classroom help
- Library assistance
- Field trip help
- Tutoring students in math, science, foreign languages, etc.
- Mentoring individual students (see below)
- Career Center assistance (high schools)
- Pack and label newsletters for mailing
- Sell bus passes, hand out forms at high school registration, take tickets at events
- And more! Contact your school to learn more about volunteer opportunities.
Middle School Mentor Program
- Be a mentor — touch a life! A small investment of time, energy and caring can yield great dividends in the life of a middle school student.
- Dedicated community volunteers are paired with at-risk 4J middle school students.
- Mentors and their student mentees have lunch together at the school once a week.
- Visit the Middle School Mentor Program page to learn more.
SMART — Start Making a Reader Today
- Help kids become confident readers by providing individual volunteer attention and new, take-home books.
- Read to elementary school students for one hour each week.
- SMART school coordinator provides coaching and schedules.
- www.getsmartoregon.org or 541-726-3302
Eugene Education Foundation
- The Eugene Education Foundation is a nonprofit foundation that raises private funds to benefit 4J schools. Giving through EEF creates opportunities for students to remain engaged in school, prepare for college and careers, and gain a lifelong love of learning.
- Support schools through volunteering with EEF or making a tax-deductible contribution.
- eeflane.org or 541-790-7744
How to Get Started
Simply contact the school or program where you would like to volunteer to discuss your interests and what volunteer opportunities are available. Thank you for your interest in supporting students and schools with the gift of your time!