250 Silver Lane, Eugene, OR 97404
(541) 790-4606 Fax: (541) 790-4610
Middle School Region: Kelly
High School Region: North Eugene
Mission Statement: To prepare students through a bilingual, bicultural, integrated curriculum to participate as citizens in an international, technological world.
Program Description: Yujin Gakuen Japanese Immersion School is the first public Japanese immersion school in the nation. We serve K–5 in our building and have a middle and high school program in place at Kelly and North Eugene. Students are taught in Japanese 50% of the day and in English for the other 50%. Roughly translated from Japanese, Yujin Gakuen means “happy garden of learning.”
- Learn Japanese with State of Oregon licensed native Japanese teachers, interns from Japanese universities, and other Japanese volunteers
- Students learn in four languages: Japanese, English, Music and Technology
- Technology integration throughout the program, with wireless internet available in classrooms, document cameras and projectors in all rooms, and class sets of laptops available for classes
- Students present projects, plays and presentations to peers at Yujin Gakuen and sister schools in Japan, as well as at numerous school and community events
- Music is a major component of the Yujin Gakuen program, not only for teaching Japanese, but for teaching a love of music. Students sing, dance, perform Taiko drums and class plays to peers, families and the public.
School Improvement Goals:
- Academic: Increase student achievement in writing
- Climate: Continue to foster a safe, welcoming school environment for students, families and staff