400 East 19th Avenue, Eugene, OR 97401
(541) 790-8000 Fax: (541) 790-8005
Middle School Region: Roosevelt, Spencer Butte
South Eugene High School strives to be a caring and
supportive community that actively participates with students as they grow and develop as individuals and as lifelong learners in an increasingly complex world.
South Eugene is a well established and highly regarded high school. Students and staff take great pride in the sheer number of exceptional opportunities available at our open-campus school. Our rigorous curriculum includes college preparatory science and math courses, vibrant literature offerings, relevant experiences in the social studies, and a variety of fine, applied and performing arts, in addition to health and physical education classes. Our campus is located near the University of Oregon and Lane Community College, which provide easy access to additional advanced academic opportunities. SEHS students also participate in a multitude of clubs and a full athletic program at the 6A level.
- Our reputation for academic excellence includes a great variety of Advanced Placement courses in math, science, English, social studies and foreign languages for which SEHS is recognized statewide and nationally
- Outstanding fine, applied and performing arts programs: Students interested in music and theater thrive at South, as do those interested in fine arts, and career technical education courses such as culinary arts, advanced computer skills, journalism, and early childhood education
- Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID): This college preparatory system includes an AVID elective class at each grade level and AVID strategies such as Cornell Notes, Socratic Seminar, and Interactive Notebooks utilized in classrooms throughout the school
- Award-winning Counseling and Career Center: approximately 90% of SEHS graduates go on to college—65% to four-year universities and another 25% to two-year colleges
- SAT, ACT and OAKS test scores well above state and national averages have resulted in SEHS being one of few comprehensive high schools to consistently receive the highest ratings among high schools in Oregon
- Successful athletic program competing at the top 6A level, plus a student clubs program of approximately 40 interest-based groups ranging from sports to chess to dance to multicultural issues to robotics and more
School Improvement Goals:
- By September of 2014, 2015, and 2016, we will achieve a four-year cohort graduation rate for the classes of 2014, 2015, and 2016, of 85%, 88%, and 91% respectively, with all ethnic and low SES subpopulations within 10% of the school-wide average. By September of 2014, 2015, and 2016, we will achieve a five-year cohort graduation rate of 91%, 93%, and 95% respectively, with all ethnic and low SES subpopulations within 10% of the average
- By April, 2014, 85% of juniors will have met the writing benchmark on their first attempt of the OAKS writing assessment, and by June, 2014, 97% of seniors will have met the writing benchmark. By April, 2015, and 2016, each group of juniors in that year will earn a passing rate of 85% and 87%, respectively, on their first attempt of the Smarter Balance writing assessment, and 98% of seniors will have met the writing benchmark
- By June, 2014, 2015, and 2016, the percentage of 9th graders earning six or more credits will rise from 92% to 94% to 96%, respectively. By June, 2014, 2015, and 2016, the percentage of 10th graders earning twelve credits or more will rise from 90% to 92% to 94%