120 West Hilliard Lane, Eugene, OR 97404
(541) 790-7200 Fax: (541) 790-7205
School Hours: 8:15 – 2:40
Early Release: Wednesdays 8:15 – 1:40
Breakfast and Lunch Menu
Middle School Region: Kelly
High School Region: North Eugene
Mission Statement: Students in the El Camino del Río Dual Language Program will be bilingual, biliterate and bicultural. Students will exhibit high academic achievement in all content areas in both languages.
Program Description: River Road/El Camino del Río is a two-way immersion program entering its 7th year. Two-way immersion offers a unique opportunity in 4J for native English and Spanish speakers to work together to become bilingual and biliterate. Research tells us that students in dual immersion programs ultimately earn equal or higher test scores than their single-language counterparts. ELL students outperform their English-only peers on tasks that require problem-solving, metacognition and patterning.
Students learn to read in Spanish and English simultaneously. Their day is evenly divided between Spanish and English in all grade levels. English and Spanish language arts are taught every day for an hour each. Math is taught for one hour a day in Spanish. Science, social studies, Caring for Kids social skills, and PE are taught in English. Music is taught in Spanish most days. Classrooms are designed to be a balance of native Spanish speakers, bilingual speakers of Spanish and English, and native English speakers.
- All students receive a free breakfast every morning
- Families can participate in more than eight family night events a year
- Students go on many field trips focused on outdoor and cross-cultural learning
- River Road/El Camino del Río has a highly involved parent group, Padres Unidos, that meets monthly to plan school events and support student success
- An active Lego Robotics Team of students in grades 4–5 participates in statewide competitions
- BEST, an after-school academic support program, offers an hour of extended instruction in reading and math
- An after-school music program is offered twice a week for students interested in learning to play string instruments
School Improvement Goals:
- Bilingualism and biliteracy: Students will develop a high level of oral and written proficiency in both Spanish and English
- Academic excellence: Students will achieve academic excellence in all subject areas, meeting or exceeding district and state performance standards
- Cross-cultural understanding and the development of pro-social skills: Students will develop positive attitudes toward other languages and cultures and demonstrate their ability to appreciate the traditions and values of various cultures in our society and around the world
School Colors: Blue, Yellow