120 West Hilliard Avenue, Eugene, OR 97404
(541) 790-7200 Fax: (541) 790-7205
School Hours: 8:15 – 2:40
Early Release: Wednesdays 8:15 – 1:40
Breakfast and Lunch Menu
Middle School Region: Kelly
High School Region: North Eugene
Mission Statement: Our mission is to assure that every moment is a learning moment and to maintain high expectations for all students.
Program Description: River Road/El Camino del Río is a comprehensive and inclusive dual immersion program. Dual immersion offers a unique opportunity for native English and Spanish speakers to work together to become bilingual and bi-literate.
Kindergarten and first graders participate in native language literacy. With this approach, students learn to read first in their native language. They receive exposure to and instruction in their non-native language through math, science, social studies and enrichment. Beginning in grade 2, students receive literacy instruction in both English and Spanish every day. We strive for a 50/50 balance of instruction in Spanish and English each day in grades 2–5. We also work to balance classes with equal numbers of native Spanish and English speakers.
Research tells us that students in dual immersion programs ultimately earn equal or higher test scores than their single-language counterparts. ELL students outperform their English-only peers on tasks that require problem solving, metacognition and patterning. Students of all backgrounds learn to appreciate and understand differences in cultures and traditions.
- All students receive a free breakfast every morning in their classroom
- Families are invited to participate in our numerous family night events
- Students participate in a number of field trips each year
- River Road/El Camino del Río has a highly involved and active Parent Club which meets monthly to discuss fundraising efforts and other school events
- Students in grades 4–5 have the opportunity to build things using computers in the Lego Robotics after-school club
- Three morning kindergarten classes
- A challenging talented and gifted program
- BEST, an after-school academic support program, offers an hour of extended instruction in reading and math
- Strings, an after-school music program, is offered twice a week for students interested in learning to play string instruments
School Improvement Goals:
- Provide objective-based teaching which correlates with the Common Core State Standards
- Develop scope and sequence maps and pacing guides for math and Spanish language development
School Colors: Blue, Yellow