700 Howard Avenue, Eugene, OR 97404
(541) 790-4900 Fax: (541) 790-4905
School Hours: 7:55 – 2:05
Early Release: Wednesdays 1:05
Breakfast and Lunch Menu
Middle School Region: Kelly
High School Region: North Eugene
Mission Statement: We seek to maintain a spirit of joy in learning, cooperation in doing, and optimism for success and the future. Our goal is to have every student exceed Common Core State Standards in all academic areas.
Program Description: Howard Elementary School is a technology immersion program where students and teachers integrate technology into everyday learning. Howard offers a rigorous curriculum that challenges students and prepares them with 21st century skills. We are a place where the entire school community gathers regularly to support, celebrate and honor the achievements of all our children. With the caring guidance of dedicated staff, our students make academic gains while developing persistence and personal responsibility, qualities that are the cornerstone of lifelong learning. We are committed to fostering a curiosity for learning and the skills necessary to prepare students academically and socially for the transition to middle school. Rigorous academic explorations coupled with the daily immersion of technology into everyday teaching and learning helps students grow into thinkers and problem solvers of the future.
- Howard Elementary, recognized as an Apple Distinguished School, boasts a strong technology focus with staff and students utilizing a variety of digital tools, web-based resources, and purchased subscriptions to support learning
- Our school benefits from having a technology team and a technology support specialist to ensure hardware and software are in working order and assist staff with infusing technology into everyday teaching and learning
- Students have 1:1 access to personal learning devices (laptops and iPads) throughout the school day
- We are able to provide targeted small-group instruction in the areas of math and reading with the support of Title I, special education and ELD specialists, as well as focusing on the needs of our Talented and Gifted (TAG) student, providing instruction at their level and rate of learning every day in the classroom across the curriculum
- A part-time counselor, music teacher and PE teacher help us educate the whole child
- Our 4th and 5th grade students enjoy an after-school strings program two days per week
- Student leadership opportunities are prevalent and include such activities as Safety Patrol, working with the School Gardens Project, Peer Mentors and News Crew
- Howard offers a robust after-school program that emphasizes academic instruction under the guidance of a certified teacher, daily enrichment activities led by passionate and dedicated adults, field trips and visits by guest teachers, and a healthy meal
School Improvement Goals:
- Our primary school improvement goal is to increase student performance in mathematics, reading and writing such that all students are showing growth toward meeting or exceeding benchmarks
Other Information: With a strong emphasis on technology, in addition to a 1:1 laptop-to-student ratio, each classroom at Howard is set up with a SMART Board, document camera, headsets and a projector. Other hardware accessible to all teachers includes AirLiner wireless slates, ProScope digital microscopes, classroom response systems (clickers), video communication using iSight and Skype, MP3 players, digital cameras and digital video cameras — all aimed at enhancing instruction in the 21st century. This hardware, in conjunction with many web-based resources, allows our students to access, synthesize and present their learning using a wide array of technological tools.
School Colors: Blue and White