Four of the district’s oldest, most inefficient school buildings will be replaced or renovated over the next few years, thanks to voters’ approval of the 2013 school bond measure.
River Road/El Camino del Río Elementary School is one of the four schools that will be replaced. The current River Road/El Camino del Río Elementary School was built in 1953 and is in poor condition. The new school will provide better learning environments for students and will cost less to operate.
The light-filled two-story structure will provide ample room for classrooms and common spaces while maximizing adjacent open space for outdoor learning, play areas and athletic fields. The new school building will provide a 21st century learning environment for teachers and their students, who learn to speak, read, write and more in both Spanish and English.
The design team, PiVOT Architecture of Eugene in association with DOWA-IBI Group of Portland, worked with a staff and community design advisory committee and sought input from students, parents, staff, neighbors and the public in developing the design of the new school.
The new building will be sited to the west of the current school building. Site preparation was mostly completed in summer 2015 while students were gone and the weather and ground conditions were right. The west end of the existing school’s gym was removed to make space for construction of the new school. Students will continue to use the reduced-size gym until the new building is completed.
Construction of the new building will begin in spring 2016. The new River Road/El Camino del Río Elementary School will open in fall 2017.
About the project
• Architect team: PiVOT Architecture (Eugene) in association with DOWA-IBI Group (Portland)
• General contractor: Chambers Construction (Eugene)
• Capacity: 450 students. Designed to facilitate future expansion to 600 capacity if needed.
• New building area: 62,188 sf, not including mechanical spaces
• Old building area: 50,381
• Building history: The new building will be the fourth in the school’s history. The original River Road school was built in 1914, burned down in 1926 and was replaced with a new building, all at its original site at 1000 River Road. River Road School District merged into the Eugene School District in 1945. [Source: http://www.hp-nw.com/river_road.htm] The current (third) school building opened in 1953 near the previous building.
Right Now at the Construction Site