Home » Instructional Services » Enrollment » Out-of-District Transfers

Out-of-District Transfers

NOTE: “Submitted & Eligible”: While the school choice office is doing certain work in the online school choice system, at some times applicants’ waiting list information will be temporarily unavailable on school choice dashboards. Your student’s school requests temporarily will appear as “submitted and eligible,” and will not show their waiting list number or that they have accepted or declined a seat. Application status and waitlist order information is retained in the system and will reappear later.

Eugene School District 4J welcomes families who live outside of the district to request a transfer to 4J.

Transfer requests from out-of-district residents for the 2019–20 school year received during the application period in March were included in the lottery for placement. Post-lottery requests may be submitted beginning May 1.

Please see below for a link to the online application and a list of schools that non-residents may request.

School Preference

Non-residents applying to transfer to the district may request their preferred school or schools among those that are open to requests. For any transfer, the preferred school must have a space available to meet the student’s needs.

Some schools are not open to requests from out-of-district students, because district residents have priority for any openings and these schools will not be able to accommodate all of the 4J residents who wish to attend.

Enrollment Priorities

If there are more non-resident applicants for out-of-district transfers than the number of districtwide openings approved by the school board, students will be admitted to the district through a lottery using the following priorities. Similar priorities will be applied to requests for individual schools.

  • 1st priority will be given to nonresident students currently enrolled in a 4J school who have moved out of the district during the current year, or who have an existing open enrollment transfer or an existing interdistrict transfer for the current year.
  • 2nd priority will be given to nonresident students with a sibling, living in the same household, who is enrolled at a 4J school and expects to continue that enrollment next year.
  • 3rd priority will be given to all other non-resident students.

Please note that district residents have priority for enrollment and must be placed before seats can be offered to out-of-district applicants.

All offers to enroll are based on space availability and on the consent of the applicant’s home district.

IMPORTANT Change in District Transfer Process: There are changes in state laws on transfers between districts beginning this year. Families still may apply to transfer from one school district to another, but the process has changed. For a few years, the Oregon Legislature created an “open enrollment” transfer option that let students transfer between districts without the consent of the student’s resident district. This provision has now sunsetted. In 4J, we are planning to continue enrolling out-of-district students under the “interdistrict transfer” process, which requires that the student’s home district consent to the transfer for any new students seeking to enroll.

Transfers to Other Districts

4J residents who want to transfer to another school district must apply to the district they wish to transfer to.

4J Schools Available for 2019–20 Out-of-District Transfer Requests

(subject to space availability, placement by lottery)


Awbrey Park Elementary School
Chávez Elementary School
Chinese Immersion Elementary School
Corridor Elementary School
Edgewood Elementary School
Family School
River Road/El Camino del Río Elementary School (Spanish Dual Immersion)
Spring Creek Elementary School
Yujin Gakuen Elementary School (Japanese Immersion)


Arts & Technology Academy
Kelly Middle School
Kennedy Middle School
Madison Middle School
Monroe Middle School


(grades 9–11 only, except for returning students)

Churchill High School
International High School at Churchill
North Eugene High School
Sheldon High School

Click here to apply http://4jschoolchoice.com

Questions? Please contact schoolchoice@4j.lane.edu