You are viewing information about the Family School 6th-8th grade program. Click here to read about Family School’s elementary program.
1650 West 22nd Avenue, Eugene, OR 97405
Phone: (541) 790-5700
Fax: (541) 790-5705
Grades: 6–8 at Arts & Technology Academy site
Principal: Linda O’Shea <email@example.com>
School Hours: 8:50 – 3:24
Elementary Level: Family School
High School Region: Churchill
Mission Statement: Family School’s motto, “From Roots to Wings”, expresses our instructional focus of providing strong foundational skills to nurture student’s independence and life-long learning.
Program Description: Family School’s grade 6–8 program continues the child-centered focus of the elementary grades while guiding students through the challenges of middle school. The Family School middle level program is a “school within a school” at Arts & Technology Academy. Family School students maintain a grade level cohort in language arts class and participate in all other curricular areas of Arts & Technology Academy.
ATA is a Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Lab School. Students participate in scientific inquiry and project-based learning in all content areas using the design process. Teachers integrate reading, writing, mathematics and science curriculum to support problem solving and critical thinking skills learning about real world challenges. Students’ elective choices include Design & Modeling, Green Architecture, AVID 7 & 8, P.E./Rock Climbing, Symphonic Band, Intro to Handicrafts, Musical Design, Robotics/Rockets/Renewable Energy, Medical Detective, STEM in the Kitchen, Digital Photography, Step (Dance), and Beginning Band. Students’ experiences result in strong academic growth during their middle school years preparing them for high school success and the STEM courses at Churchill High School.
- We are an inclusive student-centered learning community that focuses on equity and multiculturalism
- Content is integrated across curriculum making natural connections through project–based learning to build 21st Century Skills
- We are an AVID school committed to preparing students for college and career options
- We monitor student academic progress and, if necessary, provide targeted instruction and interventions through math and language arts support classes, along with acceleration through multi-age math instruction
- Opportunities to learn from professionals in STEM fields and the University of Oregon
- One-to-one iPads to student ratio
School Improvement Goals:
- Address Oregon state content standards through a variety of rigorous and innovative curriculum structures that are consistent with best practice
- Incorporate community, families and local organizations to participate in the learning community
- Ensure that all students meet or exceed grade level benchmarks in reading and math
- Ensure that arts and technology are effectively integrated across programming
School Mascot :
- Blue & White