I9600 - Placement of Volunteers
The district requires criminal background checks on volunteers, including parents and work study students, who meet one or more of the following criteria:
- The volunteer will have unsupervised contact with students;
- The volunteer has a regular and ongoing assignment at the school;
- The volunteer will be off campus with students in an unsupervised situation, including driving students on field trips;
- The volunteer is a mentor to a student or students;
- The volunteer is a coach or activity director; or
- The volunteer is unknown to the school or department staff.
The principal is responsible for determining an appropriate assignment for a volunteer and may decline to accept someone’s offer to volunteer at their school. The principal shall not assign a non-custodial parent volunteer to his/her child’s classroom without the prior written consent of the custodial parent or a court order.
For volunteer coaches, see requirements and procedures in the Athletic Handbook for High School Coaches.
For all other volunteers, see:
- Procedures for Placement of Volunteers
- Criminal Background Check Form
- Volunteer Guidelines
- Volunteer Interest Form
- About 4J
- School Board
- For Staff...